Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Father/Daughter Dance


My dad is full of surprises. When I told him that we would like him to pick the song for the father/daughter dance and wanted it to be a surprise, I figured within a few weeks I would know what it was. The shock was he didn't tell me...I started guessing. I thought of TONS of songs from My Girl to Isn't She Lovely (I even thought maybe he would pick Try A Little Tenderness: The Commitments Version). When we walked out on to the dance floor, Tom Nolan Band said to pay attention to the lyrics as a familiar tune started to play. Through the speakers, Van Morrison's "Brown Eyed Girl" filled the room, a song that often played as my dad drove me to school when I was little...a time that we got to spend together that was just us. But something was different...the lyrics had changed. My dad had re-written the words to the song so that they related to us. Enjoy!
Hey where did we go,
Days when the rains came
Down in SLEEPY hollow,
Playin' a new game,
Laughing and a running hey, hey
Skipping and a jumping
In the misty morning fog with
Our hearts a thumpin' and you
My GREEN eyed girl,
You my GREEN eyed girl.


Whatever happened
To THOSE DAYS , SO LONG AGO
RIDING IN MY BMW
With BONNIE ON THE radio
DRIVIN CROSS THE GOLDEN GATE,
HEADIN UP TO SAN RAFAEL,
PlAYING IN THAT CHRISTMAS SHOW
RINGING THAT SILLY BELL, with you
My GREEN eyed girl,
You my GREEN eyed girl.


Do you remember when we used to sing,
Sha la la la la la la la la la la te da


So hard to find my way,
Now that I'm on my own.
I sEE YOU EVERY other day,
My how you have grown,
Cast my memory back there, Lord
Sometime I'm overcome thinking 'bout
those baseball games at
CANDLESTICK stadium with you
My GREEN eyed girl
You my GREEN eyed girl


Do you remember when we used to sing
Sha la la la la la la la la la la te da.




No comments:

Post a Comment