Thursday, June 3, 2010

Recipe Box Gift DIY

When one of my besties Julia got married a few years back, I was at a loss as to what I should get her that would be meaningful and special for her bridal shower. I decided to email some of the closest ladies in her life and ask them to send me some of their personal favorite recipes that I then could put together in a recipe box for Julia. It was a lot of fun gathering all of the recipes from her family members and friends and putting it together in an adorable (if I do say so myself) little kit that also included some small kitchen items from her registry. To this day, when I go to Julia's and see the recipe box on her counter, I feel special.
When I saw this adorable DIY idea from the people at Wedding Chicks, I just had to share. While some of the items are things you might not have laying around the house, they are easy to access at a Kinkos (or in the case of a paper cutter if you can cut a straight line, you're golden). What a great and personal gift to give!

Supplies:
2. 8.5 x 11 Cover Stock 
3. Dots Medium Box
4. XYRON Sticker Making Machine


Steps:

1. Print out the recipe card templates here. They are printed on front and back so be sure to make a test print on regular paper so you don’t waste your card stock.
a. Trim 3/4 of an inch from the top and bottom.
b. Trim 1/4 of an inch from the left and right.
c. Now cut in half both ways. You will be left with 4 recipe cards that are 4 inches wide and 4.75 inches tall.

2. Cut 6 more blank cards at 4 inches wide and 4.75 inches tall to use for the dividing tabs.


3. Print out the tabs file which is called tabs.jpg

a. Trim the width to your liking and trim the height so your words are on the bottom half of the card stock and you are left with a 1 inch tall tab.
b. Place your tab face up in the XYRON and pull the adhesive roll from the bottom and tear.
c. Smooth the adhesive with your fingers and remove the top portion, then the white backing.
d. Place the adhesive onto your 4 x 4.75 card and fold it in half on itself making sure it’s attached to the blank card. The tab should be attached to the short side of the card.


4. Place your tabs and your recipe cards in the box and viola! Your own recipe box to fill with your favorite recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment