Friday, February 25, 2011

I {heart} BCN

“Hy! My name is Barbara and I am a fall-in-love-holic... (And the crowd replies: Hy Barbara)”

I love falling-in-love – I fall in love with a good movie (and watch it over-and-over-and-over-an-over again), a great book (and then bully people around me to read it), an excellent meal, a work of art...you get the picture...I fall in love every-single-day in something and it passes after some time (a day or two)...

But sometimes, with something, that feeling stays... 

That happened with Barcelona. The moment we got out of the subway, I feel in love...with everything – sounds, smells, climate, people, culture, architecture, diversity of the city... 


Best view of the city is from hill Montjuïc:









Very relaxing place after a day-long-sightseeing is The Rambla del Mar. It’s a kind of extension to La Rambla, the most famous street of Barcelona. We found Häagen-Dazs shop there, mixed 3 favourite flavours, set down on this wooden/iron bridge and just...chilled...overlooking the harbour and sea... 




A special love exists between Barcelonians and their bikes :) 




While strolling through Gothic Quarter, we stumbled across castell competition:



Street performers in Park Güell and La Rambla:


Very creative graffiti street art can be found all-over-the place:



I love Gaudí – i think that everything he ever made is just pure perfection... I read “The Gaudi Key” (by Esteban Martin and  Andreu Carranza) in two days – and trust me, it’s not a small book...  
So you can imagine me in BCN on “Gaudí Architectural Tour” – like a kid in a chocolate factory... Sagrada FamiliaPark Güell La Pedrera...








La Barceloneta is Barcelona's main city beach. It is surrounded by a ton of seafood restaurants, beachside “chiringuitos” and street performers. You know what is the best part about La Barceloneta? You come there in late afternoon/sunset... it’s still hot but just-the-right-temperature (we went there at the beginning of October – at 6 o’clock in the afternoon it was 32 degree Celsius)... and you sit at an open terrace of a local bar and enjoy a cold drink and a sea breeze...




Magnificent examples of artistic trends can be found all the city:   





Two particular sculptures “caught-my-eye”.... Beautiful sculpture by Joan Miró "Woman and Bird":  



And colourful “Barcelona Head” by Roy Lichtenstein:



After spending there almost a week, I have a feeling that I only scratched the surface of the city and that Barcelona has a lot more to show me... 
So, see you soon, BCN...I hope...  

No comments:

Post a Comment