Saturday, January 29, 2011

Planes and Mass MoCA

I had my first great opportunity to go to Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art (Mass MoCA) today. There were some wonderful installations and in particular I liked the exhibition "Material World." When I was photographing at the museum I was semi-consciously looking at breaking a picture down by its planar and color/tonal divisions. In reviewing the photos I took, this theme was even more pronounced and consequently is the theme for today's photos.







The next two images do not fit with the series mentioned above. These two images I find difficult to look at, not because of any psychological or conceptual reasons but just because of their image qualities. I feel that often art can be consumed by the viewer in a very passive and leisurely way. These two images, at least for me as the viewer, ask that I endure some degree of pain to look at them. They are best viewed at as large a size as possible so please click on the images to see them at a bigger size.




No comments:

Post a Comment