Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Ubuntu 9.10 + Nvidia Driver = Black Screen of Death

I got this howto from brainyautomation.com last year. This is what i used whenever i reinstall Ubuntu on my Dell laptop. This still works even for Ubuntu 9.10 (for my laptop that is).

reboot and select the "recovery mode" kernel and then do this or if your like me i removed my boot screen so a recovery mode is out of the question. What you do is start ubuntu up to the blank screen. press ctrl + shift F4 or any F keys except F7. you will be prompted to enter your login and password and once logged in do the steps below:

nano -w /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-kernel-nkc


# add this to the end of the file options nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0

save file and then reboot and your done. hope this helps

No comments:

Post a Comment