Saturday, December 12, 2009

THE FUTURE OF PHOTO BOOKS: Past, Present, and Future

Alberto Giacometti, sculptor, Paris 1958. Photograph (c) Richard Avedon
Vintage Book Dummy (c) Elizabeth Avedon /All Rights Reserved

The Duke and Duchess of Windsor 1957. Photograph (c) Richard Avedon
My vintage book dummy created with scotch tape and paper clips
Book Dummy (c) Elizabeth Avedon
/All Rights Reserved


READERS
"What do you think Photo Books will look like in 10 years?"

Read what Flak Photo and Live Books have to say HERE

Andy Adams, of Flak Photo, and Miki Johnson, of LiveBooks blog RESOLVE, have partnered up to organize a huge communal blog discussion on the future of Photo Books! You can read all about it HERE and view contributing Photo Blog posts and find out how to add your own.

What do I think Photo Books will look like in ten years? Considering how fast technology is evolving, I think we can't begin to imagine the form they will take by then. Ten years is light years in technological time. I do think whatever method used to create Photo Books, hand crafted like Raymond Meeks or printed in awesome gravure like Twin Palms, photography books in any form will still have a collectible market. Read Eric Miles interview on Rare Photography Book Collecting.

+ + +

I'm designing a book for a Philanthropic Organization as a beautiful gift give-away to their donors. This will be my first foray into the world of print on demand publishing. I've decided on using Blurb. My former photo-eye colleague, Radius Books co-founder, Darius Himes, was lead judge for Blurb's recent 2009 Photography Book Now contest and Flak Photo has partnered with Blurb to feature 25 of the award-winning photographer's books from 2009 as well. I'll post about my first-time experience using their design templates here in a couple of months. My Book Design Website

+ + +

The current Book Design software, Quark and InDesign, "have never been easier to create professional pages," but at what cost. I was lamenting the loss of an actual physical book dummy, until I posted my original layouts for "PORTRAITS", published by Farrar, Straus & Giroux. I started to wistfully describe what was involved in creating a mechanically correct book dummy and became overwhelmed with how difficult and time consuming it sounded and the text became unmanageably long, so I deleted it. After the exhausting description, I promise never to yell at Quark for crashing my computer again. However annoying, losing a couple of hours of work is nothing compared to just waiting around for a week for the first set of galleys from the Typesetter and Photostats (look it up!) to arrive.

READERS
"What do you think Photo Books will look like in 10 years?"
Read what Flak Photo and Live Books have to say HERE


Still Collectible PORTRAITS published by Farrar, Straus & Giroux

Alberto Giacometti, sculptor, Paris 3.6.58
Photograph (c) 1958 Richard Avedon
/All Rights Reserved
PORTRAITS, Farrar, Straus & Giroux

The Duke and Duchess of Windsor, New York City, 4.16.57
Photograph (c) 1957 Richard Avedon
/All Rights Reserved
PORTRAITS, Farrar, Straus & Giroux

Robert Frank, photographer, Mabou Mines, Nova Scocia 1.17.75
Photograph (c) 1975 Richard Avedon /All Rights Reserved
PORTRAITS, Farrar, Straus & Giroux

No comments:

Post a Comment