I think it is somewhat fascinating that there really is no actual black in a black computer display. A brief research foray seemed to indicate that LCD back-lit displays (which is what my computer has) create black by dimming the pixels.
I have three more images that are an extension of the previous image but let me first speak briefly about a wonderful contemporary photographer named Hiroshi Sugimoto. He frequently works with long exposures and has an incredible eye for capturing beautiful black and whites. One series he did that I think is particularly captivating is his Theaters series in which he has photographed old movie theaters by doing long exposures for the length of a movie. The light from the movie illuminates the theater and leaves a screen of pure white light.
All three of the following images are homages to Sugimoto.
There is an added level of significance, interest, and intimacy with Sugimoto's Theater series, I think, because each theater has been illuminated by a different and fully shown movie. The following image is the result of a long exposure during which I went about my regular internet routine. While the viewer would never know this without an explanation, for me, at least, it makes the image more personal-more a part of me.
In other super exciting news I received my new Tamron 11-16 F2.8 lens today!
Thanks for taking a look! :-)

No comments:
Post a Comment